10. Trick or Treating has come and gone and I have to say we had a successful night. My 5 yr old went as an “old man with a walking stick” (his idea!) and my 7 year old was Jack Sparrow. We sneak out of our street (which is dark, and the houses aren’t very close together) and go to a big development near my parents. All the houses do such a nice job decorating and making it very festive for the kids. We had a good time.
9. Gena Showalter has released the cover for Wicked Nights, the first book in her new Angels of the Dark series. Blurb:
Leader of the most powerful army in the heavens, Zacharel has been deemed too dangerous, too ruthless, and if he isn’t careful, he’ll lose his wings. But this warrior with a heart of ice will not be deterred . . . until a vulnerable human tempts him with a carnal pleasure he’s never before known.
Accused of a crime she did not commit, Annabelle Miller has spent four years in an institution for the criminally insane. Demons track her every move, and their king will stop at nothing to have her. Zacharel is her only hope for survival, but is the brutal angel with a touch as hot as hell her salvation—or her ultimate damnation?
Wicked Nights releases in June 2012. Go HERE for more info.
8. Voting has opened for the 2011 Goodreads Choice Awards. I have to say, I’m really disappointed in the “Best Romance Book” category.
Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L James?? I know many like this series – I’ve read half of this book and just…no. I just don’t see how this book can represent the best of the 2011 romance books.
Lover Unleashed by JR Ward?? Y’all know I love my brothers, but this book does not deserve best romance. Manny and Payne…best romance? *scratches head*
Hot Head by Damon Suede is the only LBGT book listed. While this book was okay, is it really the best m/m romance of 2011? No.
Where is Archangel’s Blade by Nalini Singh? Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison? Unveiled or Unclaimed by Courtney Milan? A Lot Like Love by Julie James?
Obviously, this is my personal opinion. I’m sure there are many who agree with the above. AND Goodreads says
“These nominations are based on a book’s number of ratings and average rating as pegged by the more than 6 million readers on Goodreads.”
But I still don’t understand how some of those books made it on to the voting ballot.
7. Let’s move on to an excellent romance book! My fellow Smexy reviewer, May just read, Last Man Standing, which is book 7 in Cindy Gerard’s Black Ops series (out 1/31). And as she read, she kept emailing the most delicious quotes and scenes from the book. To the point that I stopped what I was reading and downloaded book one from the series, Show No Mercy.
O.M.G y’all. I’m in love. The basic premise of this series is a group of extremely talented men that were in a very secret group in the military – but they got tired of the government involvement, so they follow their leader when he goes into the private sector. Now they do private security and bring down other very bad guys in South America. In Show No Mercy we meet Gabe, the very tortured hero who along with the journalist Jenna, are being targeted by very bad guys. I not only adored Gabe and Jenna but Gerard does a great job with the dynamics of the entire team. So alpha. These guys get shot up, stabbed, infected, and they just keep going. It is kind of awesome.
And the end just blew me away. I immediately started book two, Take No Prisoners. I don’t see myself stopping until I catch up
And it’s not all action and adventure. The smexy times are so so good. A little taste?
Make no mistake, though, and she’d thought about this a lot: Gabriel Jones would not make love to a woman. He’d have sex. Sweaty and rough. Raw and primal.
“Holy, holy cow,” Jenna murmured as she let the sheet drift back down over Gabe’s lap. The man was hung like one of her daddy’s prize bulls.
“Yeah, and he bellows and snorts like one, too,” she reminded herself, easing back down on the chair.
6. Last week, Head Rush by Carolyn Crane, the final book in her Disillusionists Trilogy came out – in audio. Ebook is coming out 12/6 from Samhain. (Only $2.50? Wow!) This being one of my favorite series, I of course had to start listening. I’m on chapter 13 – I think I’m almost done. Really good so far. Damn that Otto! Dashboard Gumby has already made a few appearances….and Packard. Damn it. Poor Packard. I don’t want to give anything away – but if you all remember how book two ended, Justine has a lot to…remember.
This being the first audio book I’ve ever listened to, it took awhile to get into this narrator’s voice. While I think she is doing a good job, she makes Packard sound like a mentally challenged Scottish person. But s’okay. I just try to ignore the weird way he sounds.
I think I’ll post the review closer to the e-book release.
5. I have a new favorite tv show! The Walking Dead (which airs on AMC). Last week, my husband saw the first season was streaming on NetFlix, so he started watching episode one and made me come watch too. It is a pretty violent, graphic show – but it is the zombie apocalypse!! What do you expect? Our hero Rick, is shot (pre-zombie world) and goes into a coma, When he wakes up, he is totally alone in the hospital and zombies have risen and pretty much have eaten/infected half the world. He has to find survivors! And his wife and kid (who his best friend/police partner has saved…and is having an affair with his wife!) So there is not only the zombie threat but personal things are happening too. There are only six episodes in season one so it is easy to catch up with!
And for fans of this show – what Shane did to Otis in this latest episode? Omg..Shane. The zombie apocalypse makes you consider very horrid choices indeed. I look forward to Sunday night!
4. After talking about how I lust after rugby players in last week’s Top Ten, Marg commented and left a link to the video of how they produced the 2012 French Rugby Calendar. There are nekkid butts galore. For reals. The premise (quoted from this site)
This year’s concept is about men trying to get on a ship after the end of the world (and loosing all their clothes and saving one rugby ball) … a sort of Spartacus meets post-apocalyptic Robinson Crusoe, or something like that, shot in an old factory on some cold Parisian sunday morning, and at some point one of them is trying to fix a car … anyway, apparently it’s very dramatic … but who really cares !!!?
This makes me giggle. Come on, you know you want to peek.
I also just realized this movie doesn’t come out until 2013. We have a lot of Top Ten’s to get through before that
2. So yesterday, my husband had a business meeting with Mike Rowe. I know, he is a lucky bastard, right? Mike Rowe, of Dirty Jobs and the voice of many things like The Deadliest Catch. Oh that voice……he can do dirty things to me any time he wants. *ahem*
Anyway, after begging to be my husband’s pretend secretary so I could meet him, in which my husband said no way *pout* I did ask my husband to ask him one question: If he knows he is being stalked by Nix in Kresley Cole’s Immortals After Dark series!
For those that don’t read that series, there is a character, Nix that lusts after Mike Rowe – and while he actually doesn’t show up in the series, she mentions his name often – and I think in the last book he took out a restraining order against her *giggles*
My hubs actually asked him (yay hubs!) and Mike said – he is aware he was in a romance book (he didn’t know to what extent) He said a while ago he was in a Barnes & Nobles and this woman ran up to him with one of Cole’s books and made him sign it – that was the first he had heard he was in the book and he didn’t know it was an ongoing thing. Apparently he has a lot of crazy female fans (well duh!) and finds it very amusing.
Pssst – do I spy moobs and a hairy chest? Oh Mike Rowe…..
1. This weekend I’m continuing to read Cindy Gerard’s Black Ops Inc series. I’m also 100 pages into Fate’s Edge by Ilona Andrews and really enjoying it!! Happy Friday!!