Paranormal Romance bottomed out a while back for me, it’s been a long time since I read an amazing one, and any I did really like were part of a long-established series. At the start of 2012, historical romance was my #1 producer of amazing reads.
As we wind down 2012, I have read a slew of forgettable, repetitive, nothing special, absolute waste of my time historical romances which has me wondering:
What genre is going to dominate 2013?
I have no idea, and thus the reason for this article. While there are still some authors absolutely dominating their genres, I don’t have a clear strong candidate going into 2013 of a genre that in general is just above and beyond. Here are some wishful thinking hopes of mine:
1. That the superhero romance genre will take off. Pickings are intensely slim, but I hope to see this change. I cross my fingers and wish for more great romances with men in tights.
2. Not quite superhero, but I would like to see more action-adventure in the historical realm. Zoe Archer’s Blades of the Rose series comes immediately to mind. Strong women and men battling evil and working with mystical forces… amazing! I’m not after copycats of that series, but I’d like to see a bit more variety and some magic/mystical elements in more historicals that add that Indiana Jones-esque adventure to romance.
3. Revitalization of the contemporary romance genre. Please, oh please someone write some boy meets girl adorable, funny, sweet, tender, lovely contemporary romances. They’re really hard to find, and this was my first love (and is always my first choice). When I want to read a great one, I have to go back deep into my bookshelves and pull out an old Jen Crusie, Lori Foster, or the like. I miss those days.
4. Griffons and other mystical shifters/creatures will grow stronger, take over PNR world. If I never read another vampire or werewolf it’d be fine with me.
5. Spy and secret agent romances, across all genres. We have military and special forces like crazy, I’d like to see even more (GOOD) spy romances. I don’t care if it is contemporary, historical, or even PNR – I want more cloak and dagger, more mystery and suspense.
Those are just a few ideas in my mind of some books I’d really love to see and read in future – how about you? Do you already know what is going to be the dominating genre for romance in the new year? Or do you think we’ll see a more leveling out and less trendy spikes in what is being released?