Friday Afternoon by Sylvia Ryan
Released: September 2, 2013
Reviewed by Mandi
Blurb: Before kids and the responsibility of life, Levi and I shared a spontaneous, erotic, and deliciously deviant marriage. Years transformed what we had into something comfortable and worn. It hurts me to think his desire for me has cooled. I miss that look of his. Slightly evil and totally hot, like he wanted to devour me. Haven’t seen it in ages.
When I first married Mia, she submitted to every one of my erotic needs. Then came the children. With little complaint, I abandoned my pursuit of kink, content to be married to a beautiful, intelligent woman who’s a great mother to our twins. Out of the blue, Mia confesses she misses the intimacy in our marriage, misses the sex. After this enticing revelation, my plan to reconnect with her unfolds.
In our secret, kinky, Friday afternoon meetings I’m going to give her everything she wants and take everything I need. Will this be the answer to fixing our marriage?
I love a marriage in trouble trope but I didn’t love this book. Bummer. Mia and Levi have no physical connection after fifteen years of marriage. Mia is scared Levi’s eye could be wandering, so she finally confronts him. To her surprise, Levi wants to reconnect just as much as Mia does, they just need to find the time. So they decide on a Friday afternoon they will both make it home from work before their kids get home from school and rediscover the other.
Which is what happens, at about the 10% mark. They have the sexy sex and rekindle their passion. And for the remaining 90% of the book (well, 70% since this book ends at the 80% mark) it is just sex scene after sex scene. The emotional growth ends early and I got bored with all the sex. I needed something else in the story to keep me interested. Even Levi’s wish of more kink in the relationship and exploring that with Mia was just okay for me. I wanted more exploration of the distance in their relationship – maybe actually communication with their clothes on - and less sex.
That’s What I’m Talking About – A+