**SPOILERS** **SPOILERS** **SPOILERS**
I’m talking about it all – here and in comments..so please don’t read if you have not read this book!
I couldn’t decide if I should talk spoilers or not, but Karen Moning has a big spoiler thread going on her message boards, so I decided to let it spill. But this is your final warning!!
First of all – I loved the book. We got some answers, and of course lots of questions remain!! Let me just say that my favorite line from the entire series, which is in this book is:
“You’re leaving me, Rainbow Girl.”
*sob* I seriously am not one to cry during a book, but that line made my eyes sting a bit. (ok, maybe a tear escaped). Oh Barrons, I don’t know what to do with him. Part One he is dancing around naked to Tub Thumping and laughing (and putting up a Christmas tree!!), and Part Two he is back to not giving answers and being all – Barrons – like when he tells Mac:
“We fucked, Ms. Lane. Even cockroaches fuck. They eat each other too.” *dies laughing* Barrons can be such an ass sometimes!
My one complaint is that I wish Barrons and Mac would have been on better terms throughout the book. Barrons does save Mac, even though he was gone for four days (trapped in the hall of all days??) and Mac, in my opinion, could have been a bit more grateful. I know she was raped and in an awful state for months. She deserves to be pissed about it – but can she really blame Barron’s for not saving her that night? She is the one that wouldn’t stay in the bookstore nor go to Scotland with him. She has so much mistrust in her, and Barrons will never answer questions. It gets frustrating.
Otherwise, I thought this book was great. Barrons in all of his intensity kills me. I love the new “savage” Mac. I also enjoyed Dani’s POV. Barrons and Mac continued their non-verbal conversations which continue to be one of my favorite things in the series.
Here is a list of new things we learn and questions/answers:
– Who is the concealed fourth prince that rapes Mac? Maybe not a prince at all? I really believe it wasn’t Barrons, V’Lane, or Darroc. Could it have been the book taking on a new form? Or am I completely missing someone obvious?
– Eight men break into the Abbey with Barrons to rescue Mac. I assume they are all like Barrons (whatever he is.) One in particular Dani describes as having pale skin and blond hair. Why would she describe him and not the others – why is he important? Dani says the men move weird..what are they?
– Who/what was the “shadow” Dani sees and runs into while saving Mac?
– We learn who the “five” are – Drustan, Dageus, Cian, Christian, and Christopher (from her highlander books)
– Mac can get into Barron’s head and see his memories. We learn Barrons kills a Fae princess, apparently that had never happened before. No wonder V’lane is nervous around him. Again – what is Barrons???
– What is up with the “icy blond woman” that Mac sees in the restricted library and in the Book? And she has been dreaming of her since she was a child?
– Who was the child Barron’s held that died in his memory? His child? A love child with one of the princesses? Why did he let Mac see that grief?
– We learn Mac’s mom is named Isla and was a great sidhe – seer and the old woman who told her thought she was Alina – hmmmm.
– When Fiona shows up, Barrons asks her if she was here “to apologize for trying to destroy the once chance I(barron) had by killing her (mac)?” Fiona responds, “She still doesn’t know. Oh, Jericho! You never change, do you? You must be so afraid—-” That is when Barrons sticks a knife in her heart. Darn! What are they talking about? What chance did Barrons have with Mac? Did he want to be mortal?
– Mac gets stuck in the Hall of Days and sees Christian (who has been missing since the walls fell). She goes through the silver to get to him..he happens to be in a desert, close to death. She learns that if she opens her pouch to reveal the three stones they can jump to different places (worlds?). At one point, she feeds Christian unseelie to he will heal. He seems very offended by this when he is conscious, and then his black tattoos start taking over his body. What does that mean? Is it just because of the dark magic they used on halloween night?
– Christian ends up in a different place than Mac, not being able to hold on to her as they jumped. I don’t think he is dead.
– So the end!! Mac dials IYD and a beast shows up, coincidence?? Is the Beast Barrons? Is Barrons IYD? Why and how did the beast tie her sweater and rocks to him? If Barrons is the beast, what if Mac had been hit by a car in the middle of Dublin and dialed IYD – how would the beast have been helpful in that situation? Is Barron’s cursed, and he somehow turns into the beast? Do his other eight men also turn into beasts?
Ryodan – is he a traitor? He told Mac Darroc had tattooed her – was he lying? Wouldn’t Barrons have known? Why did the beast attack Ryodan? Why was Ryodan trying to kill it with gunfire the previous night? Wouldn’t Ryodan know that was Barrons?
Doesn’t the beast HAVE to be Barrons? Who else?? The beast was described as male, so I assume the person it turns into when dying is male as well. Obviously, Barrons will be in the next book. If it was him, and he died, is he coming back in a different form?
Do you think Ryodan is dead? I don’t.
– Also, where is V’lane? He showed up while Mac had crossed that ward and hissed and left. He hasn’t been seen since.
My guess is that the book killed Alina. You know how we saw “chainsaw mouth” O’Bannon? I think something of that sort killed her. I believe Darroc when he said he didn’t do it.
Are you completely sick of all the questions I just asked?? I expect you all to answer every single one!!!!
I already need a reread.
Karen Marie Moning’s website. (Through there you can reach her message boards where there is plenty of speculation going on).