I was in my early 30’s when my love for romance novels really developed. I spent my 20’s reading fiction with romantic elements but once I discovered romance there was so going back for me. I love the love stories.
But as I’ve aged, I become more interested in reading love stories that are centered around main characters that are closer to my own age (early 40’s). I find myself having a hard time constantly connecting with main characters in their 20’s.
I want to read about main characters who have lived their lives and either finding love for the first time or maybe reconnecting with a lost love. Second chance (whether second chance with previous partners or looking for love the second time) romance works really well for Seasoned Romance!
Here is just a small sample of the seasoned romance novels I have either read or are on my TBR. What is your favorite Seasoned Romance book?
Teach Me by Olivia Dade: 40+ heroine and hero. Fat heroine, unapologetic about her fatness. Cinnamon roll hero. Absolutely loved this book. This book pubs on 5/30.
Twice In A Lifetime by Jodie Griffin: Both heroines are 40+. Office romance.
The Long Run by Ruby Lang: This is part of Rogue Acts anthology. Neighbors that find a connection.
Kristen Ashley: KA has so many characters over the age of 40. Even though I have complicated feelings about her writing style, I LOVE that older characters are standard for her books.
Mrs. Martin’s Incomparable Adventure by Courtney Milan: Both heroines are 65+. The only historical on this list.
Engaging the Enemy by Reese Ryan: both MCs are 35+ and features a fake fiance
Absolution by J.L. Campbell: This is part of a series called Mature Love
Autumn by Cole McCade: A m/m book with two older heroes
Pent Up by Damon Suede: Bodyguard and zillionaire
Team Phison by Chace Verity: 55 year old hero is trying out online dating.
The interest in romances featuring older characters has grown so much that in addition to book recs for you, I have other sites/groups/lists to give.
- In February, I tweeted about wanting older characters in romance novels and I will never do that on a work day again. I could not keep up with the responses.
- Donna Solari writes a monthly column for Frolic focused on Seasoned Romance.
- Seasoned Romance Facebook group organized by Karen Booth and Maggie Wells
- August imprint by Entangled is focused on love stories of characters of 35+.
- Sandra Antonelli. Her catalog of books features many, if not all, seasoned romance. Additionally she is consistently using her platform to talk about aging and all things relating to seasoned romance.